Re: Multiple Easy (i.e. Dumb) Questions

On 26 Feb 97 at 18:02, Tim Ebling wrote:

> The problem with getting an older car (if you consider an '88
> 16v older that is) is that it comes with no manual.  I'm still new
> to these cars, so here's a couple easy ones (is there a FAQ for this
> kind of stuff?)

Yes, there's a FAQ.  I don't have the address handy. but there's
links from most of the Scirocco web pages.

> First off, the dash.  What's the small wheel control above the
> head-light switch for?  I thought it might be a dimmer for the
> instrument lights or a delay wiper interval adjust, but it's neither
> (unless mine is broken).

I had to replace my headlite switch and needed it fast (no
tail/parking lites) so I went to the local dealer.  It was @ $24, not
that bad.  I'm sure Mark could do better.  My dimmer was real crappy
before I replaced the switch, now it's just fine.

> Next, mechanical stuff.  The car seems to suffer from a couple of
> problems which seem to be common on a lot of Sciroccos.  First, the
> vibration level is nasty.  The vibrations are mostly from the dash.
>  I'll need to adjust the idle speed (it's at about 800 now, if it
>  were
> 1000 it'd be ok) and maybe tighten up the stuff in the dash.  Other
> than doing an electrical tune up, including timing, I can't think of
> how else to help this.

Besides the passenger side motor mount, someone recently posted that
adjusting the air/fuel mix helped a bit also.

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg
Oak Harbor, WA
(On Whidbey Island in the Puget Sound)