Multiple Easy (i.e. Dumb) Questions

The problem with getting an older car (if you consider an '88
16v older that is) is that it comes with no manual.  I'm still new
to these cars, so here's a couple easy ones (is there a FAQ for
this kind of stuff?)

First off, the dash.  What's the small wheel control above the
head-light switch for?  I thought it might be a dimmer for the
instrument lights or a delay wiper interval adjust, but it's neither
(unless mine is broken).  Second, there's a red LED on the "panel"
right underneath the rear defrost switch.  Is this stock or not?  It
hasn't come on yet, to my knowledge.

(BTW, after realizing (duh) that my black '86 with the 16v engine is
not a *true* 16v, I went ahead and bought an '88 16v (red) in pristine
condition - this is for those of you who remember the "16v or not 16v?
thread a while back)

Next, mechanical stuff.  The car seems to suffer from a couple of
problems which seem to be common on a lot of Sciroccos.  First, the
vibration level is nasty.  The vibrations are mostly from the dash.
 I'll need to adjust the idle speed (it's at about 800 now, if it were
1000 it'd be ok) and maybe tighten up the stuff in the dash.  Other
than doing an electrical tune up, including timing, I can't think of
how else to help this.

Also, it's hard to shift into first.  I have to put it in second, then
while pushing hard to the left, move it into first.  What a drag.  Is
this just a matter of replacing the shifter bushings?  Is that an easy
job?

Thanks!!!

Tim
'88 16v Red