Re: Harness

Something to keep in mind re: using harnesses for street applications -
recently on the Team.Net autox mailing list there was a discussion about
this, and several people mentioned that a *4* point harness is actually
less safe on the street than the average stock seat belt.  This is
(apparently) because in the event of a head on crash with the stock
belts your torso will move forward slightly (pivoting at the waist) until
the intertia reels take effect, keeping you from submarining under the
waist strap.  In a 4 point setup, the tightened shoulder belts keep your
shoulders from coming forward and make it slightly easier to slide down
under the lap belt.  This is obviously prevented with a 5 point system
and possibly also with Schroth systems that have stretch points in the
shoulder belts for just that reason.  NOTE: I don't know the above to be
absolutely true, I'm not a safety expert by any stretch :-).

As far as Chris's refusal to wear belts on the street, that's an
argument that will win itself in time, I think...

Kevin Wenzel                                                           KB0MQM
Director of Network Operations, privateI, LLC        http://www.privateI.com/
Colorado ISP/C Area Representative                       http://www.ispc.org/
_____kwenzel@privateI.com_____kwenzel@ispc.org_____Pager: 1-800-716-2316_____