Re: Cams

At 10:18 PM 2/17/97 +0000, you wrote:
>HI,  I just saw a post from Shawn reccomending a HOR cam...
>Is this a good street cam?

The main reason I suggested the HOR can was that its cheap and has a lifetime
warranty. Thats my recomendation for a good performance and cost effective for a
solid lifter motor.
This is a good street cam, for a solid lifter motor. The word on these was that
they would flatten the lobes. Im yet to measure and wear on the cam. Besides
that, if they do flatten, you get a new one for free, AKA lifetime warranty.

> For Hyd. heads?  I really don't want to loose bottom end.

The best street cam that I have heard of is the neuspeed 260 deg cam. I've been
told by a few engineers that this can was made for the 10-1 hyd motors. Now, as
far as the 8.5-1 motors, I dont know, but I would suspect that it would work
nearly as good.
Heres the deal with cams. The more durration and lift you put on a motor, (I.E.
cam) the less low end your gonna get. It all turns out to be top end
performance. You also loose fuel economy. Its a give and take proposition. You
cant have both, but you can have a compromise! You dont really loose bottom end,
it pretty much stays the same. it just doesnt feel like you've gained
performance when you hit 3,000 and the thing takes off on you.
So in that regard, it could seem like you loose bottom end. You dont. As far as
rough idles with mild/wild cams, I know of a 276 deg cam in a 11.4-1 motor that
actually idles pretty smoothly. (except when its cold) Then again, YMMV.

>Of course,I realize that I need a good exhaust, down
>pipe etc. to get the most from a cam..   What are some thoughts on these cams
>or others  esp. regarding low end loss and longevity ( OOOHH BIG WORD :)

A good exhaust is essential in buying a performance cam. Whether it be radical
or something mild like the G-grind cam. I dont think longevity is an issue if
you have taken the precautions of breaking in a cam properly.

Shawn