Engine mods..what to do?

Hi guys!  I've been lurking around this list for a while and have seldomly
given my 2 cents worth.  I own a 81 Scirocco with a 1.7 engine.  It's stock
but I want to improve its performance.  It has 300,000kms so my question is
:  Is it worth it to work on this engine or get a new one.  Money, as
always, is an issue.  Should I just get a 16v installed (if it fits) or just
improve on what it already has.  Keep in mind that I really don't have the
financial resources to back me up.  I don't know much about Scirocco's and I
wish I did.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Sal....

-It's only wrong if you get caught.