"Lifting" in a turn

This was mannix's response to a question I had below.  I thought some more
people might benefit from this letter.  It's news to me!

>Iain, I just got a chance to read and re-read your excellent suspension
>post.  This part got me, though.  How does one do a "lift in a turn?"

Take foot off gas.  Pretty simple, but as I think about it, it is not
intuitive.  This transfers weight to the front wheels, and the rear will
typically get loose - it might rotate slightly, it might actually slide the
rear wheels.  Depends on the car.  If you have virtually any VW in a steady
state corner, and you lift, it will rotate some - depends how much rotation
you are looking for.  Go out and try it - 2nd gear, medium radius turn
(empty parking lot), 35-40mph, abruptly take your foot off the gas.  The
car should rotate some, oversteer.  Conversely, in the same situation, if
you floor it, the car will probably loosen its line - understeer. Play with
turn radius too - too small, and some funny things will happen.  Too big,
and the effect will be minor.  Get a radius that allows steady 4000ish rpm,
without straining the engine - this will be pretty easy to feel.  If I am
making a left turn in a parking lot, and my hands are at 1 and 7 o'clock,(9
and 3 = straight) I get a decent radius.  Maybe a bit tighter, but don't
get so tight that the front tires are rolling on and off the contact patch
- build some lateral forces, but don't force it, then lift.  Try 35psi
front, 45 rear - it'll accentuate the idea.  Best of luck, glad it helped!
Take care, Iain

Chris Taylor
'87 Scirocco G60-to-be

      Virginia Polytechnic Institute