Re: electrical poltergeist

Since you say you get SUPER Bright headlights, a pickup in electric
fan motor, and a drop in engine rpms similar to the AC kickingon, you
clearly have a voltage spike.  For some reason you are getting a jump
in voltage to probably 14-16 volts.  Whatever it is, you will quickly
burnout every electric component in the car.

There could be a short around the main battery leads, but I would
guess the problem to be the voltage regulator on teh end of the
alternator.  Get a bone yard or new alternator, or just replace the
voltage regulator ASAFP.

I have not had this happen on a VW, but it did happen on my first
car, a '72 Dodge Demon.  Yes I've owned a Dodge once, once.

Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chairman
DSP 79 VW Scirocco- 94,96,97 DSP Regional Champ
86 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
79 VW Scirocco rusty bucket daily driver
phillyscca@enter.net
Safety First, Fun Second, Winning a distant Third