power steering rack - question

hello there...quick statement, then a question

I recently replaced my broken assisted power steering rack with a working
one.  the thing is I found that I don't like it except in parking
lots...and I stay out of parking lots as much as possible.  what would
the outcome and/or damage be if I just took the belt off of the power
steering pump and let the system run without it?

joshua
88 16v