Re: Water pump/thermostat question

Ken Buck wrote:

> Hey Jim,
>
> You can drill as many holes in the thermostat as you want.  The
> thermostat keeps water from flowing through the radiator until the
> engine heats up.  You can run a car without a thermostat without a
> problem, but the engine will not heat up nearly as quickly.  In those
> crapola american engines, there sometimes is a vapor air lock created
> at a closed thermostat.  I have never heard of this problem with VWs,
> since the thermostat is at the bottom of the block.  The gas will
> float up to the top of the engine, mainly into the upper rad hose.
> On the American engines, the thermostat is up top, where the gas
> goes.  If the thermostat mechanism isn't in the antifreeze, it will
> not heat up enough to open.
> You an drill it if it will make you feel better.  I use low
> temperature thermostats and thermoswitches so the rad will flow
> sooner and keep my engine cooler, as we all know how my engine gets
> used.   :^O
Thanks for the advice Ken, I want to have a slight amount of flow of
coolant through the engine to insure a slower thermal
expansion/contraction, and thus insure more consistent running and
longer life of the individual components.  No rapid influx of hot fluid,
just a steady increase in temp and steady decrease.
--
Jim Buck,
ES #99