[Oil leaks, the finale]

So, thanks to input from I.Mannix and some others I yanked off that dern
oil cooler from my 84 after yanking off the filter. What I saw was truly
funky.

I noticed a partial ring of what looked like a brown gasket on the
filtermount/cooler surface. My fingernail exposed this to be some form of
plasticized oil, it came off in thin, transparent flakes. Looks like this
was sealing the gap of where the gasket has shrunk and receded... that is,
until I started using synth? There were parts of this 'oil gasket' that
were broken, and was clearly where the oil was flowing from.

The cooler was on tight, but of course, there were still gaps. I pried off
what I assumed was the old gasket, it, too had no more resiliency, and
needed to be forced out. So, I call the ole VW dealer and they tell me I
need to wait till friday for a dang gasket.

At that point, I figger I'm screwed until I get the part. Until I eyed my
old oil filter *light comes on* I yank the gasket from the old filter, and
besides the fact that it was a bit thicker, it was a perfect fit. Call
back the VW dealer, tell him to eat my shorts.

SO, to make a long story short, my oil leaks have been plugged. Thanks a
million to all of you who've helped me and given pointers on this. Without
that, it would NOT have happened...

~C

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-292-6658