Re: To kill a mocking dash(alignment)

At 12:44 AM -0500 12/16/1997, Shawn C Meze wrote:
>On Mon, 15 Dec 1997 19:47:02 -0600 Miles Lott <milos@insync.net> writes:
>
>>For the 3 or 4 times I have taken my S in for alignment, it always
>>comes out less than satisfactory.  It tracks ok, but shudders at high
>>speed(65MPH+).  Plus, the steering wheel is at an almost perfect
>>90 degrees off!
>>
>>I want to take it back, but what else could be wrong?
>

>Sounds like a wheel balance problem to me. (didn't we go over all of this
>recently?? de-ja-vu or something....)
>

>              Shawn Meze

I agree with Shawn - sounds like a wheel balance problem, or possibly
something is loose under there - ball joint bolt, _dead_ strut bearing and
shock, possibly loose strut bolts.  Maybe a tie rod.  Probably the tire -
rotate front to rear and see if anything changes.

IMHO, however, you should find a different alignment shop, as your steering
wheel should be able to be set straight, especially if you are using stock
alignment settings - did they explain options to you in getting the wheel
back on straight?  You can simply remove it and replace it straight - that
won't fix the real problem, though.  The steering rack is not centered - so
the alignment guy is using up a lot of the adjustment in the tie rod to get
the right toe settings, and one rod is shorter than the other.
Sciroccos(older ones at least) came with only one adjustable end - you can
switch driver's side rod ends to get dual adjustability, and therefore a
straight wheel/centered rack.  Mine still has only one adjustable end, and
my wheel comes out maybe 10 degrees off, so I just put it on straight, but
that's not the best answer.  Letting an "aligned" car out of the shop with
a crooked wheel & no explanation/options given is bad(maybe they did
explain....who knows).  Dunno, but to me the shimmy sounds like a balance
problem, and the alignment sounds shoddy - these are easy cars to align,
the single adjuster is something of an achilles heel, but a second can be
added easily enough, or the wheel put on straight - not fixing the problem,
again, but no different from the car's perspective - the car does not know
where the wheel is.  Best of luck!

I.Mannix