Re: Adjusting CO-mixture and idle....

> I'm about to install a new Oxygen Sensor in my '82 VW Scirocco, and I need
>to know how to go about setting the correct mixture or leaning out the
>mixture....either one would be fine even though I prefer the later
> - would improve my gas mileage a little bit....
>  I have a Sears Engine Analyzer to work with and it has settings for
> Dwell, RPMS, etc

My favorite is to attach one end of the dwell meter to the connector with
the blue wire leading into it near the master cylinder(O2 test connector),
and the other to ground or the negative terminal of the battery.

Set the dwell to 80 and 4cyl. Then make sure the engine is warm enough that
the O2 sensor is operating(let the fan cycle once). Now Turn the 3mm hex
clockwise for richer and counterclock for leaner. On the dwell meter, you
should be aiming for a reading of 40. This will allow for the O2 sensor to
operate in a range where it will not have to make much of a correction.

Why do you have to lean out the mixture with a new O2 sensor? Is the car
without a cat? Don't bother to answer that if yes. If it has one, then you
should have no problem passing if the car is tuned. Good luck!

Any quibbles with the method, please add.

Regards,
Paul Hanley