Re: Hood lifts.

At 21:13 11/12/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Christopher Mende wrote:
>
>> Has anyone attached lifts to their hood? I seem to remember seeing
>> this
>> mod SOMEWHERE... If any of you have tried it, what size/make lifts did
>> you
>> use?

  I did this to my GLI using Ford Crown Vic lifts and nipples. (please...no
comments on that one) I drilled into the flat side of the bend on the hinges
and bolted one ball nipple through it. Then (gasp) drilled 2 holes into the
side of my engine bay, at the distance measured that would let them lie flat
during full closure, and then mig welded 2 threaded ends of 2 "J" clips over
these holes. This way I could screw in another ball nipple into each of
these. (the threads were left in case I ever had to replace them..they would
be easy to take out...rather than grind off a weld and then reweld the new
one back in) Worked out great...ask "the mad bastard"....he's seen them.
They might not be as "pretty" as the aftermarket ones..but they cost me
nothing to do. I was GIVEN the lifts in the first place...brand new. As far
as the exact distance to drill into the engine bay side....that would depend
on what lift you use...but I have had no problem with them at all. They also
sit very low to the fender at full open position. I'll try to get a pic and
send it to anyone who is interested in this setup. I am actually going to
try this on my Rocco soon also..I'll keep anyone interested posted with the
outcome.

     Verne ---> http://www.skyia.com/~vwman/jettagli.htm

       84 Jetta GLi (2dr)---AutoX car with lotsa mods
       84 Wolfsburg Scirocco---Mods will now commence
       91 Passat GL---No mods...........my wife's car
       | " Save the trails, don't ride in the mud,  |
       | and always drive watercooled Volkswagens." |