Not hitting on all cylinders [Update - opinions requested]

Well, here's the update on my Scirocco that was sitting for 3 years.  I'd
like a little input as to whether to tackle this, or look elsewhere...

My friend and I spent most of the day trying to determine what was causing
the engine to not hit on all cylinders.  We had ruled out pretty much
everything, so I thought I would check valve clearances/wear on the cam.
Everything checked out OK.  He decided that he wanted to see the injector
spray patterns.  I thought this was unneccesary, as I had replaced the bad
injectors, but I humored him.  We pulled out the #1 injector, and checked
it... spittling.  #2 injector... spittling.  #3 injector... misty....
HMMMMMM.... I just replaced #1 and #2, and they're STILL not working right.

Sounds to me like we have blockage before the injectors, and they are not
getting full pressure.  So, we disconnected the #2 and #3 injector lines
from the fuel distributer, and swapped them, to make sure it wasn't
blockage in the fuel lines.  We got the same thing.  The injector in #2
spot was still not working correctly, so there is no blockage in the fuel
line itself.

Does this sound like a fuel distributer problem?  If so, what are the
chances of successfully cleaning the blockage out?  My friend recommended
dumping in 4 or 5 bottles of fuel injector cleaner to try and clean out the
system, but it doesn't have inspection or registration, and I hate to drive
it around on only 2 cylinders, anyway.

Any help is appreciated...
Dave