Heater!

>From the not so far North, Great White North:

As I somehow !^^@#^$@# misplaced my icescraper today, I had to wipe snow
of of my windshield with my hands and an old CD case. Brrr.

Did I mention I also didn't bring any gloves?? What's with these ice/snow
storms... I guess it's starting December, but COME ON. I'm in Iowa, btw,
and will be moving to Colorado Springs in May (a warning to any list
members out there!! -- Also making a road trip out there in early January
to find an apartment ... anyone wanna meet up??). So anyway...

I get into my baby after prying the evil ice snow off her body and place
my now blue hands over the center vent. (The car has been running for
almost 10 minutes, and the water temp shows normal operating temps.) And
much to my joy, I'm greeted by a blast of lukewarm air, which to my wet,
blue hand felt like an artic breeze! The last thing I remember was
recoiling in pain...

So, what the fuck is the matter? Low antifreeze? Nope. Bad heater core?
Dunno Bad temp-cable-switch-actuator-lever? Possibly. BUT, here's the
skinny:  When I rev the engine up to 2K+ the air gets noticeably warmer,
oh so much warmer. Oh I LOVE HEAT! (Sorry about that...). What's going on?

Of course, it seems like the water is not circulating fast enough to give
me heat in the cab... but that doesn't make any sense. It should be
designed to give comparable levels of heat no matter what the RPMS, eh?
I've heard of the VR6 having such low flow tht there are electric pumps
specifically to circulate the water to keep the cab warm. But last I
checked there's no VR6 tucked under my hood. :-)

This is my first winter w/ a Scirocco... I'm gonna mark it. Do any of you
have similar experiences?? With my previous car, a Jetta, it would get hot
as the Sun in the cab if I let it sit too long warming up.

Any ideas?

~C
'84 Wolfsburg (With many icicles)

     Christopher Mende             ICEMT         O: 515-294-6738
     www.icemt.iastate.edu           @           F: 515-294-5531
     bayern.me.iastate.edu    Iowa State Univ    H: 515-294-6658