Re: Audi vs. VW Re: W8 Musings

At 15:02 12/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Audi's W12 had three banks of four cylinders each it was shown in the
>AVUS show car and I don't think any think happened with that motor
>VW's  W12 uses two VR6s that is four banks of three cylinders each chop
>of one cylender off each bank and you have a W8.
>

>Hmm, never heard of Audi having a 12 cyl engine - are you saying that is
>what was in the yellow VW Ferrari looking thing? I'm pretty sure it was a
>VW unit in there - though since I haven't seen it I couldn't say for sure.
>As a side note, it's my understanding that VW actually thought of, and
>made, a VR4 engine - oh wait, that was the incredibly stupid Neuspeed
>marketing ploy for four cylinder engine VW's.      sz

What is the difference between Audi engines and VW engines? Last time I
looked, they used many of the identical parts - witness how many Audi
throttle bodies are in VWs...The Quantum even had the 5 cylinder inline
engine, and I think it was offered in the Eurovan, too.

The VR4 sounds like the Saab V4 from the 60's and 70's - it was two halves
of English 4-cylinder blocks, essentially - another wierd one. (They had a
casting based on said English parts, not two bolted together...)

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert