Thermoswitch revisited(Attn. Steve Toughhill)

After talking to a few parts experts, I've come to believe that my initial
assertion was correct regarding the works/doesn't work nature of
thermoswitches. Since this is an old thread, here's the recap:

Steve Toughill wrote:
> WRONG, they also can come on late when getting old

I talked to Mike Potter about this, and also emailed Tim at ND.
Both said the switch either works or doesn't work, and that neither of them
have seen a turn on temperature variance due to age like what Steve is
speaking of. Just so you don't think I'm obsessed with being proven correct,
I initally called Mike to order a new one b/c mine is rather old, and if
Steve was correct, it may be turning on at too high a temp. After Mike told
me the same thing I had initially said, I emailed Tim, just for a separate
verification, which he provided.

  So Steve, is there any evidence to support your claim? Have you ever bench
tested one to verify its turn on temp against new? The Bentley doesn't
mention the need to verify its turn on temp like they clearly do with the
thermostat. They just say to check whether or not its working. If you have
something that supports your claim, let me know. If the thermostat fades
away, and doesn't just die, I'll make sure to add it to my list of
maintenance items, as opposed to leaving it on the fix it when it breaks
list.

  They did point out that they can come on late if the sensor is covered
with goo, as Rick guessed. But this is NOT a temp variance due to "getting
old".

Rick Lackner wrote:
>What about deposits building on the sensor that measures water temp?
>Wouldn't this degrade performance while still allowing it to work?
>Seems to me this could happen and possibly by removing it and cleaning
>it you could get better temperature measurement?

  If anyone else has any experience with thermoswitch failure they'd like to
share(and who hasn't?), please feel free to do so. Has anyone else noticed a
gradual rise in its operating temp? Did you check to see if the switch was crud
covered? Or did the switch just stop working?

Thanks,
Brad