Re: highway wobble

At 11:18 AM -0600 08/11/1997, David Holm wrote:
>sending out a call:
>
>okay, did my struts, had to order new upper strut mounts/bearings, got
>them for $20 bucks apiece...but I notice a wobble at highway
>speed...cannot quite figure it out, is the steering arm loose from the
>wheel control arm or what?  input would be loved...

Dunno, could be a lot of things, but I'd start by jacking up the car and
making sure every bolt is tight.  If that's not it, rotate tires front and
rear - maybe a wheel weight got knocked off during the job.  If everything
is tight, uhhh, beats me!  A misaligned car should'nt wobble(I guess it
could...), so even if you botched the alignment up, wobbling should not be
the result.  Beyond that, I don't know!

>also when my car is idling, I notice a squeeling sound, it doesn't sound
>like a belt noise, but a higher pitch shorter cycle squeel...could this
>be my alternator?  once again...i don't know and would love info...

What kind of car?  On 8vs, the timing belt tensioner can squeal
rhythmically at idle, but once beyond idle, it normally shuts up, in my
experience.  Take the upper timing belt cover off, spray a little lubricant
at the tensioner's bearing, if it makes it go away temporarily, that's
probably it.

Hope this helps, for the wobble, if everything is tight, you've got me, but
the squeal is IMHO likely the tensioner.  Best of luck!

Mannix