Re: Fuel pump relay

On Sat, 09 Aug 1997 17:20:14 Paul Hanley <duckie@bellatlantic.net>
writes:
>Hello fellow roccans:
>
>How do I know which relay is the fuel pump relay? I am trying to
>troubleshoot a cold starting problem and the cold start valve and the
>Thermo-time are both working. I know I will have the right one when
>the car
>ceases to operate, but is there another way? A part number, number of
>terminals, etc. My car is an '87 8V w/a JH engine. Thanks.
>
>Regards,
>Paul Hanley

That's so funny. I just got done messing with mine. Heres the P/N as seen
on my car.

896321

That's what I found on the side with the schematic. It also had a fuse on
it. FYI
Mine is (82') located on the top row, second from the left. YMMV

My car has been running kinda crappy, depending on the day. Some days, it
would run fine. others it would seemingly misfire when I would ever so
slightly crack the throttle and then it would idle extremely lumpy.
The last time I drove it I reached down and felt the relay. It was hotter
than hell. (Clue!)
So, today I took my spare relay and swapped them out, problem solved.
(COOL!) I thought I was gonna have to replace my fuel pump. Its a good
day!!
HTH!

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi