Re: Lost power steering

I havent worked much with VW powersteering, but on all other cars I have
worked on I have found that their are o-rings between the hoses and the
pump or rack.  if an o-ring wears out (usually after something was
removed and replaced, could happen over time though) it leaks and air
gets into the fluid which causes the the whining noise that you get.  if
you leave it for awhile, even while adding fluid constantly, the pump
will wear out and will need to be replaced.

Kyle