Re: 16v Crankcase Ventilation Problem?!!!!?

At 01:12 PM 4/23/97 -0600, you wrote:
>What di you do exactly Shawn???

Well, my scenerio at the time was with my origional 1.7L motor. First
thing I did was added the oil baffle that come on later VW's. (82's
didnt have one.) To check and see if you have one, pull off the oil
filler cap and
if you can tap on black plastic, then you got one. If you can see the
cam, you dont.
OK, so everytime I would autox the car, I would get a quart of oil in
the airbox. (It seemed like it.) Then it would run down the intake tube
and drip on the track. (Not cool) First I tried one of those ..... I
dunno the
name of it but it had an inlet, then its like a small barrell shaped
with an outlet higher than the inlet was. Not a great ANSI drawing but
it works.

          |------------|-|---------->
--->----|-|            |-|----------> air/oil flow....
--->----|-|------------|

What I did was stuff a little bit of steel wool inside the plastic
thing so the oil would condense on it instead flowing into the airbox.
I simply cut the stock tube from the valve cover to the airboc and
inserted said plastic dealy thingie. It kinda worked but still allowed
oil to flow into the airbox. It condensed the oil from a gaseous state
back to a liquid state and then continued to run into the airbox. Good
plan, bad execution.
My next move was to but some 5/8' heater hose. Then I used the stock
line out from the valve cover, up and over the stress bar to the
plastic tube thingie and the new hose down to the airbox. I think the
oil runs back down into the valve cover instead of into the airbox. I
was woried that the steel wool was getting into the crankcase but its
stainless steel wool and everytime I check it, its clean looking, no
rust. I also have a little filter screen on the bottom end so if there
are any steel wool particles floating it wont drain back into the valve
cover.
The Potterman uses a catch tank (An old brake fluid bottle) for his
Rocco. I devised a way to make one so it would be stock looking and
drainable. I decided against it since there is limited space in that
ares of my car as it is.

>My old 78 rabbit used to do that, and I noticed that my 79 rocco(86
1.8l)
>is doing it also./...what is broken?

Nothing is wrong, its just a pesronality traid of VW's. Most all of
them do it in one way or another, its just a matter of how bad. Some
are more prone to dumping oil than others.

>Why does it do this?(You should have seen the K&N that I pulled out of
the
>rocco....unsalvageable.......)
>Eric

Oil gets vaporized in the crankcase and more often than not, in the
valve cover. (That cam is busy under that cover) The oil particles flow
with the crankcase ventilation out the tube anddown into the airbox. VW
has done a few things to try and limit this from happening. (The
introduction of the spash shield under the valve cover.)

Uh, the K&N filter is a wet filter. All you should have done was clean
it, re-oil and reinstall it. Did you throw it away?? (Yikes!)

HTH!

Shawn