Re: FW: Darwin Awards. -

-----SNIP-----
>> One day, Larry, had a bright idea.  He decided to fly.  He went to the local
>>Army-Navy surplus store and purchased 45 weather balloons and several
>>tanks of helium.  The weather balloons, when fully inflated, would measure
>>more than four feet across.
More -----SNIPIE----

Since its been so quiet here today, I thought i'd bluner through this one.
The soda can machine death is true and happened to quite a few people. the story
of the airforce guy installing the Jato rocket on his car is a well known FICTION
story.
The ballonist is actually true, but the newspaper accounts of it are not quite as
glamorous as this story of the account.
He did strap on 45 weather baloons onto his lawnchair and took flight. He had a
pellet gun with him, to use to descent when he was through. After a jet liner
spotted and reported him, ground radar tracked him as high as 16,000 feet. I dont
know how he was able to breath up there but I guess he did, the report didnt say
anything about that. After he got really cold, he decided to end his flight and
began shooting his baloons. He shot out a total of 20 before he safely landed. He
wasnt arrested but instead was cited for violating a controlled airspace. Not much
to the story really.
He was quoted as to saying that he "highly recomended sears lawnchairs", whatever
that means.

Ah well, it was entertaining.....

Shawn