Re: Valve cover bolts God Damn $%o)$*$@*&@@

In a message dated 97-04-16 00:10:04 EDT, jdoc@postoffice.ptd.net (Jay
Docherty) writes:

<< To make a long story short I stripped half my valve cover bolts.
 Fortunatly I have replacment studs I can use out of my old head.
 Does anyone know of any tricks on removing and installing the studs
 without messing up the threads?  As it stands I am going to put cloth
 around the studs and put vice grips on 'em.

                                       Jay
 '80 Scirocco 8v
 '88 Scirocco 16v >>

Take two of the nuts and install them on a stud(not stripped of course) and
tighten them on to each other with two wrenches.  Using a open end wrench on
the lower of the two nuts unscrew the stud from the head.  Use the upper nut
when putting the stud back in.  Use two wrenches on the nuts to separate them
and then spin them off.
Good luck and have fun.

-dick-
'78, original owner.