CV Joint transplant

Got a quick question.

I just bought (today) another Scirocco.  It's a metalic maroon 1985 with
some problems.  The engine is a good runner, hey it's only got 140k on it,
but there are other issues.  The front struts and strut bearings are shot,
the front brakes are toast (metal to metal) and I'm pretty sure at least
one CV joint is going.  It makes a nasty clunking noise when turning right,
sounds like a CV joing, correct?  Anyway, my 1980 Scirocco 'S' is nearing the
end of a wonderful life, filled with spirited driving, and being out in
front of the pack.  The mechanicals on the 80 are still working (I'm driving
it everyday), so I was going to scavenge parts from the 80 to fix up the 85.
Reason being is that the 85's body is in MUCH better condition.  So, can
I use an axle half-shaft with attached CV joints from the 80 on the 85?

Thanks for the help.  I may be back asking similar questions.

Oh, in case you were wondering, I got a decent deal on the 'broken' 85. :-)

==Brett