Engine Probs - Again

caufman wrote:

Hey, I sent this message two times already and never received a response
except Andy, who I thank very much.  He mentioned that if when I
adjusted the idle I may have messed up the mixture.  This is not the
case, I just adjusted the screw on the throttle valve.  Here is a copy
of the previous post, please send help.

caufman wrote:

Hello all,

1)  I set my timing and idle this weekend.  At first, the car was
running beautiful, sounded the best since I had it, smooth idle at about
950rpm's.  This was on Saturday which was in the 70's, fairly nice out.
I ran the car on Sunday and today with the same results, car doesn't run
so well.  Idle has dropped to about 5-600rpms, very choppy idle and I
really need to goose it on start up, will not stay running at idle.
Sunday the temp was in the 60's, but much cooler at night and in the
morning...Monday morning in the upper 40's.  I don't think it's a vacuum
problem (I replaced all the vacuum hoses) or the fuel filter (about 2k
miles on it) - this does not mean that these are not the culprits, I
just don't think so. Any ideas??????  Oh yeah, I don't think my car has
the DIS, I did find a box in the relative area of the driver side up
against the sidewall, but when I unscrewed both hoses from the "box"
they both had male connectors so I could not attach them to each other
as earlier indicated when I asked for help on timing.  I just screwed
these back to the "box" and forgot about it.

Since this time my car runs well after warming up after about 20 minutes
of driving, but it still "skips" a little.  Also, the car will not idle
after a cold start, in warm or cold weather, I need to pump the gas
until I get moving.  This may be of interest to this line, a couple of
days ago I heard this humming coming from the gas tank area.  This went
away after awhile and I have not heard it since.

Any ideas to what I can do to stop this?

Thanks,

John
80 Scirocco S