Re: *sigh*

>At 01:02 AM 4/3/97 GMT, you wrote:
>>Alas, I have figured out the deal with the mileage indicator, and it isn't
>>pretty.
>>
>>Basically, your mileage is computed on manifold vacuum and vehicle speed.
>>Vehicle speed is taken from the speed sensor, and the manifold vacuum from a
>>little vacuum sensor.  Both of these are contained in the dashboard -
>>presumably, on the circuit board.
>>

>sorry mike but the vaccum line isn't for your mileage indicator (odometer).
>i have the same car, '86 Scirocco, no air condition, no power steering, JH
>8-valve engine. my car is mfa equiped (but my instrument cluster isn't, long
>story...). that vaccum line is plugged up with a screw but the odometer
>still works.

If he's referring to what I think he is, it is a mileage indicator(not
odometer).This measures the instantaneous gas mileage.

>>If your mileage indicator isn't working, there are only two fixes.  Either
>>the vacuum line is leaking or plugged, or the circuit board itself is broken.
>> I pulled the vacuum line off today (and plugged the empty hole in the
>>manifold, so the engine would run normally), and took the car out for a
>>drive.  It still continued to give readings, which indicates there's
>>something wrong with the circuit board.

  Although I don't have the manual with me and don't have an MFA, I don't
see why removing the line would give you no readings. It would seem that
the MFA would just be reading no vacuum, since there would be atmospheric
pressure at the gauge. I imagine not having it plugged in would give you
very high mileage figures, as it'd be reading an idle situation in terms of
manifold vacuum, and a speed that isn't idle.

Brad