Re: Fuel pump relay under dash

Brad Sheridan wrote:

> >RedRocco@aol.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I have an 88 16v.  If that is true just try a relay from a 16v.  Someone else
> >> agreed with me so its probably 16v specific.  Might work and sounds easy to
> >> do!
> >> --
> >        That sounds even better, I think I'll try it, thanks!
>
>   You might want to pull out the Bentley and check the internal connections
> of the fuel pump relay between the 8V and 16V models. I don't think they
> match up.
> If you look at the wiring diagrams, you can tell not only what they are
> labeled on the relay, but which hole of the socket they go to. The socket
> sides needs to match for it to work, unless the fuse panel is wired to
> accept both types of relay.
>
> Brad

	I got the same news from my mechanic, I'll still have to check the
diagrams.
Also I spoke with a very good VW parts guy and he confirmed the
mechanics story. He also said, (now this is IMPORTANT) to all you folks
who have the MK1, that the relay was designed to only go on when and
after the starter comes on.  So if you have the original setup and the
pump comes on when the key is in the on position then you have a
defective relay.  An easy way to test how good any fuel pump relay is
(besides the fact that the pump actually works) is to stall the engine
and see if the pump will continue to operate.  That is the actual
accident scenerio. If it does that, the safety aspect is out the
window.  Now, I'm not sure about the testing because I have not done it
yet (will shortly though) I'm relaying the information I was told.

	Andy