Re: Struts

At 01:06 PM 9/25/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Has anyone attempted replacing the struts on an A1 scirocco?  Mine are in
>dire need of replacing(240k originals) and I've heard conflicting reports
>on changing them.  The Bently manual says that the cartrages are not
>replacable, however my local part store says they are.  Does anyone know
>if they are replacable and has anyone tried it?
>thanx,
>Panther-

Tried it, seen it, done it. You can do it with a spring compressor, good
bench vise and a big ass set of channel locks or a 14" pipe wrench would
work too. You also need to know how to set the allignment or at least set it
so you can drive it to a shop to have it alligned. I have a method for
setting it by eye, gets me to the shop for the dialed in allignment.
Also looks like a good opportunity to upgrade your shocks and springs!!

Shawn