RE: A/C Vent Question: '86 Scirocco.

- When I use the A/C, the COLD Air only comes thru the sides.
          And HOT Air comes thru the Centre Vent.

        - When using the heater, outside air comes thru the sides.
          And HOT Air comes thru the Centre Vent.

        - When it's on Fresh air, it's the same as heater above.

        Anyone have an ideas?..

        Would it be a BIG job to fix?

        Assuming it's the vacuum switches(?), are the easy to get to?

        I wanted to try trouble shooting this myself before getting a
mechanic
involved, just wondering if anyone has an ideas?

Check your vacuum reservoir for leaks, and then the system of vacuum lines.
 In my 82 I accidentally drilled into mine when I added a spoiler.  I also
had a problematic vacuum switch that would dislodge from it mount on the
heater box.  If you look at your vent controls, feel off to the left and
you can see the lever hanging down that actuates one of the door in the
heater box.  If you move your control levers to different modes, this valve
should move up or down in at least one of your positions.  If it does not
you either have a bad valve, vacuum leak or the valve is not seated on the
box well.  This test could at least tell you if the valve is working.  You
might have to remove the plastic cover under the driver's side dash, I'm
not sure.

Rodney Noriel