Re[2]: cooling fan

At 10:07 PM 9/18/96 +-200, you wrote:
>What's your opinion on this-
>
>>My German mechanic wired my cooling fan 'hot' so it runs all the time by
>>bypassing the idiotic cooling fan switch or thermal switch- whatever you
>>wanna call it.  The water temp guage never goes up more than half way up
>>unless I'm hauling ass on the 'bahn' on a hot day.  Today I drove to
>>Frankfurt at a steady 180kph(114mph)and the guage barely went past the
>>half way point then dropped a little below the halfway and stayed there.
>>And surprisingly it still warms up quick in the morning and it was kinda
>>cold today, too.  But I guess what I want an opinion on is if this is a
>>good idea or not.  So far nothing bad has come of it.  It seems the 1.8
>>runs so hot with that cooling fan switch.  Anyone agree?  The Scirocco I
>>had in the states ran real hot!
>--
>The reason the engineers did this is because an engine has higher effeciency
>(sp?) at higher temperatures.  The hotter the engine is, within tolerable
>limits, the higher the efficiency.  Running at lower temperatures is a waste
>of both potential power and mileage (at the engine), not to mention a waste
>of immediate power ( at the fan running continuous ).  No, I would put it
>back the way it was, *especially* if he did this for a performance
>improvement.  If it is because of a lack of fundage for parts, say no more.  :)

I was having having the same "problem" with mine.  Whenever I stayed at around
140/150kph, the gauge always went above the halfway mark.  Per my mechanic,
the fan switch isn't working properly, the fan does come on but not at
"highspeed".  He's changing the switch right now actually, hope *it* was the
problem.  The switch itself doesn't cost a lot, Can$12.  It's a fair bit of
work tho, as I beleive the rad needs to be removed. (?)

Kevin
'86 Scirocco