cooling fan

What's your opinion on this-

My German mechanic wired my cooling fan 'hot' so it runs all the time by bypassing the idiotic cooling fan switch or thermal switch- whatever you wanna call it.  The water temp guage never goes up more than half way up unless I'm hauling ass on the 'bahn' on a hot day.  Today I drove to Frankfurt at a steady 180kph(114mph)and the guage barely went past the half way point then dropped a little below the halfway and stayed there.  And surprisingly it still warms up quick in the morning and it was kinda cold today, too.  But I guess what I want an opinion on is if this is a good idea or not.  So far nothing bad has come of it.  It seems the 1.8 runs so hot with that cooling fan switch.  Anyone agree?  The Scirocco I had in the states ran real hot!