Bad Clutch Cable or bad Clutch?

This goes out espically to Brad,

Here is the deal, My car's clutch ('87 16V) started slipping a few days
ago. I first noticed this up hill in 5th. Since this it has gotten worse
slipping in 4th and 3rd and maybe once in 2nd gear.

I took it out to my mechanic he said I need a clutch. Normally I trust
this guy comletely. but on the way home from the mechanic I tried very
hard to get the cluth to slip and I couldn't. I ran it up to 75MPH in 3rd
and it didn't slip.

Personally I think the cable is not adjusting itself properly sometimes.
My mechanic said he hated self adjusting cables and wanted to try and put
a regular cable on the car. I don't know why it is working now, but I
couldn't make it slip. ALso ocasionally I hear a crunching sound in the
clutch so I think the cable gets snagged or something.

My mechanic ordered a clutch kit already. Should I tell him to cancel the
 order and just get a cable?

All opinions are valuable on this.
Thanks