Re: Fuel Filter confusion

Yes, this happens all the time.  I am not sure what the differences
are, ie German vs American made, etc.  But there are basically
two different ones for this vintage of VW.  You probably need a
larger one than what they sold you.  This confusion is worse in the
traditional aftermarket.  The dealer ought to know what you need
if the one he suggested will not fit.

At 04:58 PM 9/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello fellow Scirocco owners,
>     I've been on the list for about a month now but this is the 1st time
>I've posted/replied.  This is a great mail list, I hope I can add some useful
>information.
>     OK, here goes: I wanted to replace my fuel filter on my 1985 Scirocco
>(as if I'd be talking about any other type of car here).  The old filter is
>the OE part.  It is a Bosch, part # 0 450 905 066, underneath the 066 is a
>086 with a curved rectangle around it.  So I went to my friendly VW dealer
>with the part # info in hand.  However, when the guy looked on the computer
>sys for the right part # he gave me something different.  The new filter that
>he gave me is part # 0 045 905 943, with a 957 under the 943.  This is not
>the same filter and, in fact, the connections are different.
>     So, would anyone know why I have a different filter?  Has this happened
>to you too?  I'd just like to know.
>
>Thanks,
>James
>--

Miles Lott (http://www.insync.net/~milos)
A.A.S. E.E.T./SBE BCST ENG

KTXH Ch. 20 in Houston, TX - home of the
Rockets, Astros, Aeros, Terror