Performance upgrades

Hi everyone,

I am the proud owner of an '86 Scirocco GTX 8v (engine DX) and very much
enjoy driving the car.

I have only one problem with the car at the moment...

After driving for a while and then getting stuck in a traffic jam the engine
will suddenly begin to idle erratically and then cut out.  This only happens
when I have been idling for around 4-5 minutes.  The electric fuel pump has
always buzzed since I bought the car 7 months ago and I have changes the
plugs and fuel filter recently.  I plan to change the air filter soon to as
it is pretty dirty.  I haven't had a chance to test the car in traffic since
the changes so prehaps these may have helped.

Has anyone encountered this problem?

I am also thinking of upgrading the performance of the engine.  What are the
best (and cheapest!!) ways of doing this?

Thanks in advance.

Leigh Caddy.