Re: Lacking power?

>her'es a question...my carbon canister, feul fume trap/whatever thingy in
>the drivers side fender well, well, all the tubes have dryrotted off
>and/or broken, including a T shaped plastic thing near the canister. Is
>this thing necessary? Is it hurting not having it hooked up? I got the
>jist that is a feul recovery or emissions purifier gadget, and the car
>passes inspection as of currently.  thanks

Well, on my '84 GTi, the previous owner had a wreck and never replaced this
canister.  Hoses blocked off as they should be, but it is not there.  I had
never seen above 24.5 miles to the gallon in that thing, and I had a few
friends with the same car, same driving habits (hard and fast), and they
always got a consistent 27 to 26.5.  I can only assume that this is the
reason why.  Still haven't replaced that damn thing, I should.  I've got
better mileage potential now with the knock-sensing 1.8L.

David