Rocco in a rut.....

Hi guys! First time Scirocco owner here; need some info on alignment.  I am
the proud new owner of an '82 scirocco in pretty good condition(only 94k
mi.).  On a recent trip to Sears I had them do a 4 wheel alignment as the
front tires were nearly bald on the inside lip and the car was shaking
violently between 60 and 80 mph.  When I got the car back, they informed me
that I need rear shims or something, but that the front was ok.  Meanwhile
the car was completely unsafe to drive at any speed, due to the sudden and
random pulling to either side, as if I were driving on slippery icy
roads(mostly between 30 and 45 mph).  At least the shaking has stopped,
right?  I brought it back to them on a different day, to have the shims
installed and they told me that the shims were not necessary, but that it
was impossible to align the front due to only one adjustable tie rod.  They
told me that the left side was not adjustable because that is how the
factory made it.  This seems like bunk to me.  I can't possibly imagine that
every time someone with a Scirocco needs an alignment the steering wheel
gets more and more crooked(mine is now angled at 15degrees to the right.).
The left tie rods are in good shape, and the only reason to replace them is
to put aftermarket adjustable ones in thier place.  I am in the North
Hollywood Area in So California, and if someone could point me to a mechanic
who A) knows what the hell they are doing, B)has the equipment to do the job
right, and C) will not charge me an arm and a leg for what should be a
fairly straightforward and simple job, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

Antonio Licon