Re: Cutting out Power Steering

At 01:08 AM 10/25/96 +0600, you wrote:
>>The only time the P/S uses any HP is when your actually turning the wheel.
>>Your feeling of bonus HP most likely is negligable at best. After driving my
>>girlfriends GLI for a while, I kinda get used to the P/S and miss it when im
>>muscling a turn in a parking lot!
>
>C'mon Shawn!  Being a fellow autox-er, you know that racing is all about
>turning that wheel.  Now answer that question again with the autox realm in
>mind.  Now what kinda hp are we talking about?

Well, thats different and requires a different anwser, right!
In a racing environment such as autox, when your at the point on the track
where you are actually turning the wheel, your usually off the throttle and
if you are on the gas, its only barely cracked. That makes me think the P/S
would be more useful to the driver if its working.
As far as disconnecting the A/C belt, it would help a little, im sure but
not enough to make enough difference that it can be felt. I run with mine
on. Too much hastle to put it on, then take it off, ect....
Now, what kind of HP are we talking about? Well, I think net gain would be
maybe 1-2hp total. Its a guess mind you but I know ity takes little HP to
run P/S as well as the A/C belt. Just remember to leave the A/C off while
racing!

Shawn