Re: Dream cars...

Brandon Sommerville wrote:

> In the latest issue of EC there is an article on a 914/6 to 904/6
> conversion.  That is THE most beautiful car I've ever seen.  I will never
> give up my Scirocco for anything, but that would be a great car for
> occasional summer driving!
>
> Just out of curiousity, what kind of aftermarket parts does everyone have or
> dream of having?
>
> I want to get a 2035cc Autotech bump kit for mine.  170hp is a nice round
> number that I could live with.  That and the usual shock/spring setup, sway
> bars and strut ties.
>
> If I get 16" wheels, whats the largest brakes I can mount?  Stopping power
> is my main goal.  I want to be able to compare to a 911 Turbo, know what I
> mean?   :O
>
> Brandon Sommerville
>
> "The human mind is a dangerous plaything, boys.  When it's used for evil,
> watch out!  But when it's used for good, then things are much nicer."
>         -The Tick

Hey Brandon,
I really don't think 16" wheels are a good idea on Scirocco's for
several reasons:
1-you need very low profile tires which can rub (205/40 is the max)

2-tires will wear very quickly and are much more expensive than say
195/50 15" tires are.

3-16" wheels are about $200-300 more than 15"

4-11" brakes (biggest made for VW's) will fit fine in 15" wheels.

Also I don't think that Autotech 2.0L kit is very work it.  You have to
pay a ton for new parts and THEN get a GOOD shop to machine your
existing 1.8L to it's limits making a rebuild very impractical.  I would
get a used 2.0L from a yard and get someone to put your stock head on
and then you can upgrade to Motronic or European fuel injection.  But if
that's what you want who cares right?  This is just my opinion.
Josh Clark