Re: Painting brake calipers

At 11:54 AM 10/13/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Hey does anyone know what the accepted procedure is to paint brake calipers?
>I just love the way this looks (ie porsche 911's etc).
>Has anyone ever used high temp paint (on valve cover maybe?, or on that trick
>vr6 thing?)
>If any of you have tried this please drop me a line.
>--

Yes, I did this about this time last year.  However, I think I did it the
*hard* way.  I was not yet familiar w/ the world of primer.  I cleaned
everything w/ brake parts cleaner (oddly enough).  In the front, I removed
the caliper/brake pad housing assembly and painted them, protecting
necessary parts (rubber hoses, silver plate thingy).  In the rear (rear
discs), I couldn't get the brake pad housing off (I don't know anyone who
has been able to do this without torching the bolts) so I removed the
caliper and painted it, and covered the disc w/ newspaper and painted the
brake pad housing on it.

Now--the part where I think I messed up.  Because I wasn't using primer, the
paint was running off, so I put the paint (spray paint--HI TEMP!!!)  in a
bowl and let it thicken by letting it sit in the cold for 30min.  Then I
appied it w/ a paint brush, to get a good sticky base.  Then I went over it
all w/ the spray paint can.

Then I hit it before it totally dried (while it was still a little sticky)
with a can of HI TEMP clearcoat.

They looked pretty good for awhile, but then i did some work under there
(don't remember exactly what I did), and I banged 'em and dirtied them a
bit.  So now I should probably re-do mine.

Which brings me to a question:  How do I REPAINT calipers?  Put the paint
right overtop?  Prime?  Strip?  What exactly should I use?

Thanks

Chris Taylor
'87 16v Scirocco

West Ambler Johnston Hall