Re: Aaarrrrgghhh !!!! Changing the water pump in my 84 w/ a/c

Gene,

     I just did the same job not too long ago on my 84 Scirocco.  I have a
late 84 so I have the Bosch Alt above the Sanyo/Sunden A/C comp the way it
is on your 86.  It is still a pain so I can sympathize with you.  I started
out just trying to check my thermostat, but one of the thermostat housing
bolts was rusted in and broke while I was trying to get it out.  Then I was
stuck!  I could not remove the remnant of the broken bolt.  The garage with
all my tools is not at my house so I had to get go get a bunch of tools etc.
to do the job.  After I had removed the timing belt covers and crank &
waterpump pulleys so i could get to the bolts for the alt/AC bracket, I
realized that there was a small plastic cover over an opening in either (I
can't remember now) the upper or lower cover which gave access to one of the
bolts holding the Alt/AC bracket and I don't think I had to do half as much
work as I ended up doing.

Now that you have done it once, the second time should be easier.

Chris