Re: Help please: 85 Scirroco shutdown...(long due to details)

In message "Re: Help please: 85 Scirroco shutdown...(long due to details)",
you write:

>Matt Murchison wrote:
>>
>> Rick,
>>
>> There may be a combination of causes, three things to check out from
>> least to most expensive:
>>
>> 1) Replace fuel filter.
>>
>> 2) Have injectors pressure purged, not just the pour-in-the-gastank
>>    variety.
>>
>> 3) I've heard over time the actual fuel lines themselves can rust at the
>>    points in which they are fastend to the underside of the car. Very
>>    expensive for parts and, steering rack must be removed to install.
>>
>> The first 2 steps should be done anyways, at least you should notice an
>> improvement with cold and hot idle.
>>
>> Good luck,
>>
>> Matt
>

>Small question (I have a 85 Scirroco too with problems): Is the fuel
>filter located under the hood or beside the gas tank?  Any tips on
>changing it (like what to do and not to do).
>
>Thanx!

Hi,

OK...this is my experience on removing the fuel filter. I CANNOT ACCEPT
ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR INJURIES SHOULD YOU ATTEMPT THIS YOURSELF. THIS
IS JUST A STORY ABOUT HOW I REPLACED MY FUEL FILTER AND IS NOT INTENDED AS
A SET OF GUIDELINES FOR PERFORMING SUCH A TASK.

Here goes...it is the fuel filter then the injectors which collect
grunge over time. Replaceing the filter and having the shop pressure
purge the injectors is a good idea if you cannot remember ever doing
it or, the used car you purchased does not show this a being done
on any of the maintenance records. The BOSCH fuel filter is about
$32 Canadian and, a shop injector purge is no more than $60 Canadian
at an independant BOSCH AUTHORIZED AND TRAINED TECHNICIAN. The dealship
may charge you more.

Also, if your car is more than 6-7 years old have the shop inspect
and replace if necessary the rubber o-rings in which the fuel injectors
go into. Over time these dudes get hard, loose their seal and cause many
weird running condition noticable at both hot and cold idle. My '86
Scirocco uses o-rings with a small hole in them which assist in atomizing
the fuel at the injector and giving the nice cone spray into the
combustion chamber instead of a solid stream which will not burn as well.

I know on the '86 Scirocco it's right behind the battery under the hood.
You'll see a silver canister about 8" long and 4" diameter with one fuel
line fitting at each end.

1) Pay the extra bucks and purchase the proper quality Bosch fuel filter.
2) Disconnect the battery, no smokes, no brewskis (yet!), and have fire
   extinguisher nearby.
3) Place a rag under each end of the filter as there will be some
   residual pressure when you remove the bolts.
4) Loosen ring clamp at center of filter then, loosen bolt at both
   ends which connect the fuel lines. They'll be on tight and they may
   screw and unscrew the opposite direction, you'll have to try each
   direction. Note the positioning of the filter and the direction
   the fuel flows, the BOSCH filter goes in with the arrow pointing
   in that direction. Note the fuel goes to the fuel distributer, the
   black thing with the silver fuel lines coming out of it. From there
   it goes to the injectors.
5) The Bosch filter actually has one end contoured the shape of @ 18mm
   wrench so, you can use a wrench to hang onto the sucker while you
   slowly loosen and then remove either end bolt.
4) Installation is the opposite of removal. The Bosch filter will have
   an arrow on it I believe to indicate which way it goes.
5) Make sure fuel lines are connected snug. When you go to start the car,
   it'll take a couple of attempts as the filter will fill with fuel again
   and then go to the injectors. With the engine now running, keep an eye
   on the 2 fuel filter connections to make sure they are not leaking.

Describing it is more difficult than doing it...sorry for the wordiness
but don't want anyone to get burned.

Regards,

Matt