Date:          Mon, 30 Dec 1996 18:57:01 -0800
From:          trnsfrma@ix.netcom.com (Shawn C. Meze)
Subject:       Re: (Fwd) Post engine swap questions
To:            hugacub@islander.whidbey.net

>Shawn, and others with 82 or near:

he-he, they still think im on the list! :)

>I swapped the 1.7 to the code JN 1.8.  Everything is running
>fine, but I have questions about my vaccum/emissions hoses.
>Specifically, the 1.7 had a two port valve cover - one for the airbox
>and one to the vaccum.  This is a breather assy, I am pretty sure.
                   ???^^^^^^^^???
Is that soposed to mean the intake manifold? I think that is what he
means.

>1.8, though, had only a single port to the airbox (same size).
>Additionally, it has a vacuum fitting on the head itself towards the
>rear of the car.  How did you connect this arrangement when you
>swapped?  My solution was to use the old valve cover and plug the vac
>fitting on the head.  I was thinking that perhaps I should connect an
>L-shaped hose to the vac fitting with an air restrictor installed in
>the hose (The 1.7 fitting on the cover uses a hose which should have
>this restrictor in it.)  Aside from correcting the breather
>arrangement (?), this would allow use of the 1.8 valve cover.
>
>I know this is confusing, but if you have run accross it you should
>know what I mean...
>
>TTYL

Im a little confused but for the most part, you should use the stock
1.7L valve cover so you can retain as much of the origional system as
possible. My 1.8L valve cover is the same as my 1.7L. Maybe you have
one from a Fox or something. I dunno. No need to recreate the vacume
line system, just use what you got. As far as the line off of the
head, I didnt have that. Check and see how it compares or differs with
the motor you replaced. I think you can just cap the line. Thats my
best for the info given.

Hey I heard you got a ton of snow!! Im jealous!! Must of been nice
huh? I know, you think it sucks and all that but come on, its xmas and
all....

Shawn

Rick    hugacub@whidbey.net
85 Scirocco 8V  Wolfsburg