Re: Scirocco II euro lamp conversion

I too have the big lamps on my '87 16v and love them. I got the lamps
before I got my car. I did not trim a thing. The bottom of the headlight
assembly goes in first  and then push the light assembly back and attached
the connectors. Then fasten the assembly with the upper screws. It is a
good idea to change the turn signals at the same time. Keep all the old
parts. The lower screws can be put in if the top cover  to the US bumper is
removed however, I have been driving without the lower screws for several
years without a problem.  My lamps did not come with instructions or
connectors to interface with the driving lamps or the inside super bright
driving lamps. I just removed the fast-on's from the plastic connector
housing and pluped them on. In addition to the standard main lamp switch I
have the VW lower right side dash mounted lamp switch and the three bulb
assembly. In Europe (France has yellow bulbs) they drive in the city using
only the small bulb in the big lamp off to the side. They run the parking
lights with it. My car does not have the Euro wire assembly. Can someone
tell me the proper way to wire the assembly to the switch. Should I add a
relay to the assembly. Can I get the fast-on connectors for the switch so
the small bulb will indicate the lamp is on?...?

 I do have a tip for a low cost  rear tail lamp foglight. For those who do
not know the rear fog lamp is used extensively in Europe. It is an extra
bright tail lamp for inclement weather. The lamp is the red space located
between the tail and break lights in the stock rear tail lamp assemble.
The stock bulb housing assembly is wired for it on the US cars however the
lamp assembly has no hole for the bulb. If you drill out the back side of
the cups left and right (note it will say USA on it) and install a break
light bulb in the bulb slot,  you will have the left side fog lamp and a
right side lamp. I think you should do both sides so you do not look like a
tail lamp is out. Cops love to stop you and tell you that one bulb is out
and then look for more stuff.  Don't try to use a bright bulb it will be
too bright and look like your breaks are on. Don't try to use a big bulb
because it will not fit in the small hole. The only difference between the
Europe Lamp is the side reflectors are removed. Total cost is about $2.00
for the bulbs and if you get them in the junk yard well who knows. If you
put a small hole in to drain the water that may get in.

I have one more tip for the inside trunk lamp. If you are like me you are
in you trunk working on the sound system etc ... and the trunk lamp is just
on, on ,on. Well I have a way to change this. Get a second glove box lamp
assembly and pop it in to the rear trunk slot. Now you have a switch. Cool.
Cost about $1.00 at the junk yard.

Now how about the that glove box spring. Mine does not work because the
small bushing is long gone. Don't let your passengers put there fist
through door for starters but if it happens what is the fix? A Staedtler
mars-plastic Eraser (Radierer der Nurnberg) cut to size is great
replacement. Yes use the Staedtler mars because it is made in Germany and
it works. Remove the box and glue in the bushing just under the spring.Then
glue the cover to the back of the door. Reassemble. If you need more
information on this I will add to my message.

Thanks. K.T. '87 Scirocco 16v, '88 GTI 16v.