Re: I wanna big throttlebody!!

Rich Garrett
12/20/96 12:40 PM

>Modify the existing manifold - the manifold itself is pretty open, the
plate that the t-body bolts to is the restrictive part.

Got it!

>Well, you're right, basically, but think of it this way - an engine is an
air pump, the more air (fuel) it can process, the more >power it makes.
So, a throttle body is conceiveably useless on an otherwise stock engine
because no more air is trying to >get through it.  Think of a supermarket
with 15 cashiers but one tiny door.  All the cashiers are busy, so
management adds 3
>Make sense?  Kinda silly analogy, but.........

Makes great sense, thanks!

>What can you do to make the engine flow more air?  Right!  Bigger valves
would work,  that's like a bigger door -OR- >opening the door
wider......the valves open .403" stock (roughly, something like that), so a
bigger cam might open the >door/valve .423" per revolution. Make sense?
That's *really* remedial, but the idea is there - also, cams are measured
in >duration, IE 268 or 272 - that's how many degrees of rotation the valve
is open.  More duration, the door is open longer, lets >more air in, with
drawbacks being lack of low end torque, lumpy idle, etc. So, a cam can let
more air through the engine, >making the throttle body more effective. If
you have any more questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.  Hope this
>helps!

So, installing a better cam would also involve adjusting things like
timing, possibly driveshaft (powers the pistons?), etc. so that the longer
duration integrates with everything else? By opening the valve more, the
duration is longer, anyway, so the timing of the entire piston cycle
changes.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully, I'm not the only one out there learning
something...... >;->

Rich