Update on question running on 3 cyl.

I tried disconnecting the wires one at a time from the distributer,it
provided no difinite answer.  All four cylinders when thier wires were
disconnected provided appox the same result.  I am thinking that I am not
running on 3 cyl, but 4 poor cyl.  Where should I start looking? Haynes says
to inspect spark plugs  for physical damage.  My question is  How do you
inspect the sparkplug's spark?  Someone poseted about turning over the
crank... how is this done?  These procedures are not outlined in Haynes and
the ones that are are done poorly.
Adding to the list of complaints regarding the Haynes manual, it really
doesn't show how to examine the dist. on my car.   It concentrates on much
older models.  Could anyone outline the section on examining the dist.?  This
seems to be a likly culprit as it has never been replaced/rebuilt.
Thanks again