Re: Mounts/Bearings etc..

At 02:52 PM 12/12/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi,

>      The wheel bearing is getting REALLY noisey, I'm afraid it will break on
>me, that needs to be done urgently. I have bought the bearing, the guy at the
>dealership told me that I could reuse the pins??  Is this a big job?.. $100?
>$200?..$500?  hours?

First let me say that it wont "break" on you. Wheel bearings dont do that, if
its ant kind of peice of mind for you. Worse case scenerio is, it will sieze
on you. Thats a bad thing especially if your driving it at the tim
e it seizes on you. The other thing it could do is heat up and crack the hub.
Thats happened before but that too is worse case.
What you could try and do is tighten the hell out of the nut on the spindle.
That might give you a few more days of life before its absolutley got to come
out.
As far as doing the work yourself, your gonna need the special VW bearing
puller. Its expensive. something like $200 expensive. See if you can rent one
and use the directions that come with it. Its maybe a 3 hour job for the
novice. Its not hard, just takes a few steps to remove and install the
bearings and hubs ect.

>    The passenger side engine mount is apparently "weak" and is causing a
>lot of vibration.  I bought the mounting a few months ago. I remember someone

>saying it should cost about $120?  I figure that's 2/3 hours work?

$120 for the mount or for getting it put on? It takes a while to get
everything off that side of the engine to finally get the old mount off. Once
you do, you simply take the mount to a machine shop and they press out the old
bearing and press the new one in. Then instalation is in reverse of removal.
Unless you want to leave your timming cover shield off. I did. damn thing is a
pain to put back on and have it not rub something.

Shawn