Re: Intro to the Mailing List

Split fire are too expensive. Go for Bosch, they're cheaper and probably
better. I know Bosch products are excelent, and I also heard split fires
increase your gas mileage. K&N are a sure bet. Put it on. Better ignition
cables (like Blue Igniters) aren't very cheap, but are a little thing that
will make a difference. Depending on your car, a stronger Ignition coil is
good too. For less than $300 (for most cars) you can put a Techtonics exhaust
that will give you an extra 7-12 hp. The european GTI camshaft, sold by most
for around $95.00, is a great add-on too.  A bigger throttle body is an
option too, even though that is more expensive (less power for the money).
Here's a list of most important things (on my opinion):
1- good ignition system (plugs, coil, wires...)
2- good intake (K&N, camshaft)
3- good exhaust (Techtonics exhaust)

Also you cannot forget suspension. Sway bars (front and rear) are mandatory
for less body roll. Strut bars aren't necessary unless you're running on
bigger tires or lowered suspension. Stiffer (but not uncomfortable) shocks
(Boge Pro Gas) are a great dd on too.

Anyawy, If you put everything I told you on your car you'll spend roughly
$1000 dollars, which may seem too much. For cheap performance, stick with the
following:
1- K&N filter                                 $35
2- Techtonics exhaust                 $300
3- Bosch plugs                               $8
4- Bosch coil                                $40
5- euro GTI camshaft                     $95
                                                 --------
Total-------------------->                    $478

With that you're sure to gain about 8-17 hp, depending on your car, which is
pretty good. That sounds little performance for the buck but it's not.
Remember what they always say: "Horsepower costs money, how fast can you
afford to go?"

All this above is for a non-racing street car. A racing car would be much
more expensive, with big valve cylinder head, suspension upgrades, brakes
upgrades, etc.. then we'd be dreaming.

I hope this is of any help. Sorry for the lengthy letter.

--Ren
1987 Scirocco 16v
106k miles, running strong & very fast (~135hp)
*****FOR SALE*****
2200 o.b.o.
Looking for Rabbit GTI or Fox (preferably GL w/  speed) for trade or
purchase.