Re: Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

> Brett,
> Funny, we have something in common.  I currently own an 80 S that I'm
> working on and possibly going to purchase an 88 16v.  Hopefully you can
> help with some info on the 88.  A guy is selling his 88 with 134k miles
> for $2500.  The only things wrong are that the emergency brake doesn't
> work and it needs a front end alignment (oh yeah, and a new muffler).
> Does this sound like a deal or a sham?  I don't know much about 88's,
> I'm more familiar with A1's.  Are there any problems that are common
> with this year?  How reliable is this car?  I drove the car and it
> seemed pretty fast and no real problems, except the gear shift seemed a
> little loose for my liking (is this a red flag for a bigger problem).
> Please let me know if you have any info on the above items.  Everyone
> else, please feel free to chime in.
>
> Thanks,
> John
> 80 Scirocco S

I really like the 88.  $2,500 isn't bad, but considering the problems you've
outlined, I'd offer him a little less.  The emergency brake not working could
be big trouble.  I accidently left my emergency brake on for an extended period
of time (no snickers, please...) which 'rust-welded' the pads to the rotors.
Needless to say, after freeing the wheels, the calipers would no longer activate
when the hand brake was pulled.  I had to replace both calipers, brake rotors,
and pads.  Make sure to check the exaust flex coupling where the 4 exaust pipes
join into 2 pipes behind the engine.  I had mine crack a couple years ago. If
any of the exaust needs fixing up, I would suggest the Techtonics system in
either stainless steel or aluminum.  Remember, the 88 16v came stock with
stainless, which is probably the reason it's lasted this long... ;-)  As far
as loose shifting, I've found that replacing all the linking bushings is a
good idea after so many years, and would probably be a good idea on that car.

Good luck!

==Brett