Re: Engine trouble in cold wet conditions

(Forwarding a reply that seemed to have been meant for everyone...)

> > While I'm in senseless drivel mode, does anyone have an idea of the
> > breakdown of the number of Mk.1 vs Mk. 2 owners here?
> >

> I've got one of each, an 80 'S', and an 88 16v.  It pays to be a glutton. ;-)
>
> ==Brett

Brett,
Funny, we have something in common.  I currently own an 80 S that I'm
working on and possibly going to purchase an 88 16v.  Hopefully you can
help with some info on the 88.  A guy is selling his 88 with 134k miles
for $2500.  The only things wrong are that the emergency brake doesn't
work and it needs a front end alignment (oh yeah, and a new muffler).
Does this sound like a deal or a sham?  I don't know much about 88's,
I'm more familiar with A1's.  Are there any problems that are common
with this year?  How reliable is this car?  I drove the car and it
seemed pretty fast and no real problems, except the gear shift seemed a
little loose for my liking (is this a red flag for a bigger problem).
Please let me know if you have any info on the above items.  Everyone
else, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks,
John
80 Scirocco S