Re: Exhaust Systems??? (fwd)

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 Mute0@aol.com wrote:

> >From the people I've talked to supersprint is the *ONLY* header that will
> 1- stand up to the 16v's shakes
> 2- give you a considerable gain.  I think 15 Hp, but not sure.

Ba ha hahaaaa!  FORGET about it!  You're looking in the neighborhood of
5-7 hp, tops, and I suspect most of that is due to the removal of the cat.
Here's an example.  Before I got the header, I topped out on one hill at
school here at ~170.  After the header, ~170.  So no gain on the top end
(although the gaping hole in my stock flex joint may have given me better
than factory performance on the top end).  Low end power was much improved
(again I had nothing below 2000 with the old downpipe).  I was a little
disappointed, to say the least.  *Hopefully*, I will see benefits once I'm
done modifying my otherwise stock 1.8.

> I remember saying to someone that where wasn't much pracitcle gains in
> performance headers and they said that they agreed with the exception of the
> supersprint.  Its $600 about but supposed to be worth all of it.  Who
> knows....

Like I said in the other post I paid $700 Cdn for mine, and it was a big
thumbs down in the bang for the buck department.  Looks sweet under the
hood, though....

-Riley McDowall
'87 16V Scirocco